Information for Visa Application
Updated on 22 March 2021 :
★ Visa information on this page is designed for NON-THAI nationals.
- If you are looking for the Japanese visa requirements for Thai passport holders, please see THAI version.
- If you are planning to obtain a Japanese visa in Thailand, please take your time and read following the information carefully.
Information regarding Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)Border Enforcement measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19
Currently, all foreign nationals who wish to newly enter Japan need to apply for a visa except for those with re-entry permit. Please note that due to the impact caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the visa approval procedure may take longer than usual. Your understanding and cooperation are greatly appreciated.
1. Visa ExemptionsSome countries have visa exemption arrangements with Japan. Nationals from those countries do NOT need to apply a visa for a temporary visit without employment in Japan. Please check the list of countries and regions that have visa exemption arrangements with Japan; VISA / Residing in Japan
However, if you are seeking employment or residence in Japan, such exemption does not apply. You must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from an immigration office located in Japan before applying for a visa. Please visit the Japanese Immigration website for more information; Application for Certificate of Eligibility
2. Conditions for making your application in ThailandIn principle, you should have a legitimate long term residency in Thailand. You are kindly requested to show us the following documents:
- Thai visa (Non-immigrant O, F, ED etc., rather than Tourist Visa) in your passport.
- Thai re-entry permit valid until the date of your return from Japan if you apply for temporary visitor visa.
- Thai work permit (for business people) or certificate of enrolment from your school in Thailand (for students).
3. Condition for applying visa at Consulate-General of Japan in Chiang MaiYou should work or study in the northern of Thailand* which can be proof with documents.
* These northern of Thailand are Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Mae Hong Son, Phayao, Lamphun, Lampang, Phare, Nan, and Uttaradit.
** If you do not meet this condition, please apply visa at Japan Visa Application Centre (JVAC) in Bankok.
Visa Application Acceptance Times
Application acceptance : Monday – Friday 08:30 – 11:00
Passport return : Monday – Friday 13:30 – 15:00
Closed: Saturday, Sunday & Embassy's Holidays
※ For more information about applying visa, please visit site : Embassy of Japan in Thailand
Consulate-General of Japan in Chiang Mai
Address : Airport Business Park, 90 Mahidol Rd., T.Haiya, A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50100
Tel: 052-012500 Fax: 052-012515
E-mail : email@example.com