Important Notice on Visa Restrictions for Strengthening Border Security Measures to prevent the spread of Novel Coronavirus
On 26 March 2020, the Government of Japan decided to further strengthen the border security measures against the spread of Novel Coronavirus infections by introducing additional measures as follows;
1. The validity of single entry visa and multiple entry visa, including diplomatic and official visa of Japan, which have been issued by Embassies, Consulate-Generals and Consulates of Japan in the Republic of Indonesia (note), the Republic of Singapore, the Kingdom of Thailand, the Republic of the Philippines, Brunei Darussalam, the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, Malaysia, the State of Israel, the State of Qatar, Kingdom of Bahrain, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo by March 27, 2020, will be temporarily suspended.
note: including seal of “visa wavier registration certificate”
2. The application of visa exemption arrangements for Indonesia (note 1), Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, Viet Nam (note 2), Malaysia, Israel and Qatar (note 2) will also be temporarily suspended. note 1: visa wavier for Indonesian nationals based on a system of e-passport registration will likewise be temporarily suspended.
note 2: for diplomatic and official passport holders
3. The validity of Pre-Clearance (i.e. visa exemption) granted by the Government of Japan to Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Business Travel Card issued by Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, the Republic of Korea, the People’s Republic of China, including residents of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, the Philippines, Brunei, Viet Nam, and Malaysia will be temporarily suspended.
4. The foregoing measures of 1, 2 and 3 will enter into force on March 28, 2020, 0:00am (JST) until the end of April, 2020. The period can be extended.
5. Additionally, the ongoing measures which have entered into force on March 9, 2020, regarding temporary suspension of the validity of single entry visa and multiple entry visa which have been issued by Embassies, Consulate-Generals and Consulates of Japan in the Republic of Korea and PRC (including Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) as well as temporary suspension of visa exemption agreements for the Republic of Korea, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (both HK SAR and BNO passport holders) and Macau Special Administrative Region of PRC will be also extended until the end of April, 2020.
6. For the time being, the permission to land in Japan to the foreigners who have stayed in any of the 21 European countries (note) or the Islamic Republic of Iran within 14 days prior to the application for landing will be denied, unless the circumstances are exceptional.
note: Ireland, Principality of Andorra, Italian Republic, Republic of Estonia, Republic of Austria, Kingdom of the Netherlands, Swiss Confederation, Kingdom of Sweden, Kingdom of Spain, Republic of Slovenia, Kingdom of Denmark, Federal Republic of Germany, Kingdom of Norway, Vatican City State, French Republic, Kingdom of Belgium, Portuguese Republic, Republic of Malta, Principality of Monaco, Principality of Liechtenstein, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
7. The foregoing measures of 6 will enter into force on March 27, 2020, 0:00am (JST).